ABOUT SIG SAUER
The year was 1853 when three men, Friedrich Peyer im Hof, Heinrich Moser, and Conrad Neher founded a wagon company in Switzerland and entered the world of manufacturing innovative wagons and railway cars. Seven years later, these entrepreneurs heard the call of the Swiss Federal Ministry of Defense and entered a competition to develop a standard-issue rifle for military forces. Out of wagon wheels and train cars came the Prelaz-Burnand rifle, which won the military contract and redirected this company into building firearms, changing the entity and the name to Schweizerische Industrie-Gesellschaft, also known as SIG. From there, this innovative firearm manufacturer went on to develop several weapons for military use, including the precursor to the P210 known as the P49 in 1949, followed by the P220, and the compact P238. In the 1970s, this European-born company expanded into rifles once again by partnering with Hämmerli Target Arms from Lenzburg, Switzerland, and J.P. Sauer & Sohn, GmbH, of Eckernförde, West Germany, and hit the shores of the USA in 1985 as SIG ARMS, Inc. In 2007, this new American-based firm changed its name to Sig Sauer Firearms, subsequently moving to a new state-of-the-art headquarters and production facility in Newington, NH in 2014.